Cooler temperatures, hot chocolate, cozy flannel, the seasons are changing, and the long St. Louis summer is finally over. However, the arrival of fall means that there are several vitally important home maintenance tasks needed to be performed, to ensure your home is ready for the bitterly cold winter ahead.
Fall Maintenance Checklist to Get Your Home Winter Ready:
- Drain and Disconnect Outdoor Hoses and Faucets- this task will help prevent frozen water damage to your outdoor plumbing. You should also close any outdoor shut off valves and put away sprinklers and other outdoor water supplies.
- Change Your Furnace Filter- a clean furnace filter will improve your heating systems efficiency, help save you money on your energy bills and keep the air in your home cleaner.
- Check the Batteries in Your Smoke Detectors- you don’t want to wait until your detectors start beeping to change the batteries. For the safety of your home and family, it’s best to change out these batteries twice a year, and the beginning of Fall and Spring are great times to complete this task.
- Have Annual Maintenance Performed on Your Heating System– to ensure that your heating system is ready to perform at optimal levels and help prevent an unexpected breakdown during the coldest night of the year, call Academy Air at (314) 720-3580 to have us perform your yearly maintenance.
- Perform These Final Yard Work Tasks:
- Remove fallen leaves and debris that are pressed up against your home.
- Fertilize and reseed your lawn- the autumn months are one of the best times of the year to complete this task.
- Clip and trim branches that are hanging over your home or that are too close to power lines.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Sweep fallen leaves from steps and walkways, these leaves are slippery when wet or covered with ice.
- Seal Up Windows and Doors- install weather strips around drafty doors and windows and apply fresh caulking around older windows. This task will help you save money on your heating bills and keep your home warmer and more comfortable all winter long.
- Adjust Your Ceiling Fan- during the colder months, your ceiling fans should rotate clockwise at a slower speed. This action pulls cold air up and can cut your heating bill by as much as 10% if done properly.
As the seasons change, remember that Academy Air is here to assist you with all your home’s heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical needs. Simply give us a call at (314) 720-3580 or click here to schedule your service appointment today!